Online technology profile and readiness test
2020 Big Science Competition Online Guides
- 2020 BSC ONLINE Student’s Guide
- 2020 BSC ONLINE trouble-shooting guide
- 2020 BSC ONLINE Administrator Guide
We strongly recommend schools take the following steps before the Big Science Competition online.
STEP 1. Your IT specialist deals with the technology profile paying attention to proxy server settings, firewalls and bandwidth.
STEP 2. The readiness test is done on each workstation or device before the day of the competition.
STEP 3. Browser caches are cleared manually before the competition.
STEP 1. Technology profile
Please check that your school meets the following technology profile to ensure the Big Science Competition will operate within its network.
Your school’s IT specialist should make sure the web proxy servers can be accessed and bandwidth is maximised during the competition period.
- Internet Explorer 8 is not supported.
Laptop Desktop PC Chromebook iPad / iPad Mini Android tablet Mouse Headphone
· An external keyboard or mouse is not necessary for students using a tablet.
· Compatibility exists with most tablet devices, but some of them have not been verified as fully supported for the customised ASI test player.
|Operating system||Mac OS X
MS Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10
Chrome OS 38+
|Web browsers||In order of preference:
1. Google Chrome 28+ (XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10, OSX, Chrome OS)
2. Firefox 20+ (XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10, OSX)
3. Internet Explorer 10+ (Windows 7, 8 and 10)
4. Internet Explorer 9 (Vista, Windows 7)
5. Safari 6+ (OSX)
|Bandwidth||· 512 KB bandwidth for up to 20 users
· 2 MB bandwidth for up 100 users
· 5 MB bandwidth for more than 100 users
|Settings||· Flash version 9+
· Sound card required
· A minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768
· Cookies are required and need to be enabled
· During online tests, other traffic should be kept to a minimum at the school
· Pre-cache digital content ability is supported and preferred
|Proxy||Standard web proxy servers are supported. The following ports need to be open through the proxy:
· Port 443
· Port 80
|The following web site addresses need to be accessible through the firewall:
· *.core.windows.net (on azure as storage related endpoints – this is utilised for hosting static content such as images/html/js files)
· *.azureedge.net (on the CDN as storage related endpoints – this is utilised for hosting static content such as images/html/js files)
· bam.nr-data.net (Used for New Relic monitoring)
· js-agent.newrelic.com (Used for New Relic monitoring)
· 126.96.36.199 (IP of hosted service)
|In-school support||· Schools will have access to a readiness test from April 2020 to May 2020 to ensure all their workstations are fully functional, including authentication and audio.
· Schools need to have appropriate personnel to manage hardware and password problems during the readiness testing phase.
STEP 2. Readiness test
The Readiness Test is to be done in preparation for the live competition. It needs to be run on each workstation or device your school will be using before the day of the competition. We also recommend that students access the Readiness test to familiarise themselves with the online format.
The Readiness Test will allow you to explore the navigation, hear an audio sample, answer sample questions and determine the accessibility of your school’s IT system. (Note it is normal that you cannot submit your answers.)
Please complete the Readiness Test even if you have completed the competition successfully in previous years.
To access the Readiness Test please go to Readiness Test Preview.
Log in using the details below:
For further information or help, please contact us on +61 2 6125 6228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 3. Browser caches are cleared and plugins or extensions are disabled
Please refer to the 2020 BSC ONLINE trouble-shooting guide for instructions on how to clear you browser cache . Please ensure all browser plugins and extensions are disabled apart from Adobe Flash Player (if required for your browser).