Curious Minds needs enthusiastic women to become Curious Minds STEM Coaches to help empower girls to excel in STEM.
Applications for the 2021/22 STEM Coach intake are now closed.
As a STEM Coach, you will develop a relationship with a high-performing female student from years 9 and 10 that increases her confidence, stimulates her curiosity, inspires her enthusiasm and motivates her interest in STEM studies and careers.
We invite all female STEM professionals to apply, particularly those from the following industries:
- Technology and Information Technology
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Mathematics and Physics.
Additionally, we strongly encourage applications from:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- LGBTQI+, gender-diverse and non-binary people
Benefits for you
- make a difference in the life of a girl with a curious mind
- contribute to the future career of a potential STEM professional
- develop your own teaching and coaching skill
- create new networks with a group of awesome female STEM peeps
Curious Minds runs for six months from December to June. Coaches are required to:
- attend webinar training and catch-ups: December 2021, in March and June 2022
- virtually meet your student and get started during virtual summer camp in December 2021
- contact with student via phone or video call every three weeks, with some emails/texts in between
- attend a wrap-up session during the virtual winter camp in July 2022.
STEM Coach support
To support you, we provide:
- initial Coach Intro sessions
- planned modules including conversation tips and goals
- ‘Head Coach’ who will monitor, check in and problem solve with you
- online catch up sessions mid program and prior to winter camp
1. successful proven interest in STEM activities
2. desire and capability to work with young people, in particular high school Students
3. Understanding of and agreement to coach responsibilities
4. completed Working with Children Check (or state equivalent)
5. ability to commit to time as described