Why and who can do the Big Science Competition?
The Big Science Competition is not just another science competition, it’s different from other science competitions.
- You choose the format. Either online or pen & paper.
- You choose the day to do the competition. Any time between 7 & 16 May 2018.
- You receive students’ scores in 10 days* and all students receive certificates detailing their performance a little later.
- Costs start from $7 (plus GST) per student.
- No minimum registrations.
- The competition takes 50 minutes and has 30 multiple choice questions linked to Australian Curriculum.
*provisional scores are emailed to teachers 10 days after the competition close date. Available for online only.
Need five reasons to do the Big Science Competition? Find out what other teachers say about the Big Science Competition.
Who can take part?
The Big Science Competition is open to students of all abilities from Australian and international schools including students who are home schooled.
There are four competition levels based on Australian school years:
|Competition Level||Australian School Year Level||New Zealand School Year Level||Singapore School Year Level||Approximate age range|
|Year 7 paper||Year 7||Year 8||Sec 1||12-13 years|
|Year 8 paper||Year 8||Year 9||Sec 2||13-14 years|
|Year 9 paper||Year 9||Year 10||Sec 3||14-15 years|
|Year 10 paper||Year 10||Year 11||Sec 4||15-16 years|
Students sitting a competition level must all do so on the same day. However, different competition levels may be sat on different days during the competition period.